Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Vintage Affair

So a few weeks ago I was at Target scouring the shelves of books for a good one to read when I came across one such book with a voluminous red dress on the front of it. A Vintage Affair, I read by Isabel Wolff, "hhmm that sounds interesting" I thought to myself. I naturally picked up the book due to the alluring title and the color of the lovely dress, and read the back of the book.



It's about this woman who leaves her job to open a vintage clothing store in London. To her "you're not just buying fabric and thread-- you're buying a piece of someone's past." In this story she'll come across one such garment that will change her life forever. She will see a connection between herself and its owner allowing her to heal the pain she has from her own past and will allow her to love again for her future.

Praise for the book:
"Romantic and sumptuous, this is a must for fans of vintage dresses and vintage romance." -Hester Browne
"This colorful new novel has something for everyone, There is mystery, romance, great characters, as well as London and France." -Naples Daily News
"Deftly blends past and present, romance and mystery, and a theme of forgiveness and redemption." -Mary Kincaid



Reading this book really made me appreciate vintage clothing much more than I ever have. It made me see the clothes as more than a piece of worn down fabric that was a little frayed at the edges. It made me regard vintage clothing as a story, it made me realize that it has so much more to offer than just a timeless outfit, or a piece of cloth. The book was very well written and the language with which Isabel described the scenes of her story were just... mouth watering. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in fashion, there is much more to it than just the modern brand new clothing scene on the runway, fashion has character, fashion can tell a story.

"Every dress has a history. And so does every woman."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

New ideas? Requests? Just some feedback? Comment below! You're opinions are valuable!